Scott Maddison is a trading style of Abbey Sales and Lettings Ltd.
This policy sets out how Abbey Sales and Lettings Ltd uses and protects information you give us.
We are committed to ensuring your privacy is protected. Be assured that any personal information you give us will only be used in accordance with this statement.
We may change this policy from time to time by updating this privacy which can be found on our website www.scottmaddison.co.uk/legal/privacy-policy. You should check this page periodically to ensure you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 25th May 2018.
What data we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and title, including job title
- telephone numbers and addresses and other contact information including email address
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests that you express to us
- If you are applying for a rental property we may ask you for information regarding your current employment status and income, credit situation, age and nationality.
- If you are instructing us to sell or let a property we may also ask you for your previous address history, age and nationality in order to verify your identity and to comply with money laundering regulations
- Property transactions are often complex and it is not possible to list every item of personal data we could possibly require. However, if further information is required and provided then it will be treated in line with this policy.
What we do with the information we gather?
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with an appropriate and continually improving service, in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- To inform you of and to improve our products and services.
- To keep you informed of new properties as they become (re)available or reduced in price
- If you are selling/buying then your information may be passed to solicitors or surveyors or other professionals with a legitimate involvement in the transaction
- If you are selling/letting/buying then your information will be passed to an anti-money laundering check provider to ensure the transaction is clear of money laundering indicators, as is required by law
- If you are applying to rent a property then your information will be passed to a tenant referencing company to undertake detailed references to assess your suitability for the tenancy and to verify your “right to rent” status.
- If you are a tenant in a property your information may be provided to maintenance contractors, utility providers, the landlord and property professionals with a legitimate need to communicate with you.
- Various regulations and laws govern our business. There are instances where we may be required by law to pass information we hold to industry regulators such as trading standards, the property ombudsman and propertymark, the police and other law enforcement agencies for the prevention and detection of crime, HMRC and so on
What we do not do with the information we gather
- We do not sell, lease or distribute your data to any third party without a legitimate reason or for reward of any kind.
- We do not use your data to automate any decision making or to create any arbitrary commercial profile of you.
We are committed to ensuring your information is secure. To prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online and in hard copy.
Where your data is passed to third parties in line with this policy, we will have taken suitable precautions to ensure that such third parties adhere to the same high standards of data protection and security as ourselves.
We are required by law to retain records of all transactions we undertake for a minimum of seven years. After this time, we will securely destroy all hard copy and electronic data.
If we have not entered into a transaction with you but have collected your data for the purposes of keeping you abreast of available property or you have viewed property, or we have appraised a property of yours for sale/let (ie you have expressed an interest in conducting a transaction); we will keep your data for a period of two years from our last interaction. After this time, we will securely destroy all hard copy and electronic data.
We have in place suitable electronic data management tools to ensure data is securely deleted after the appropriate timeframe.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest, or you may be asked to access third party websites during your dealings with us. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over such a website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you.
If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to Abbey Sales and Lettings, Manchester House, 113 Northgate Street, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP33 1HP, or email us: email@example.com
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, requires rectification, or you would like to exercise your “right to be forgotten”; please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above addresses.
We will promptly action your request.